Wednesday, September 05, 2007

GIVE ME A MOMENT TO COMPLAIN.....

Take a look at this picture of the brain - see the little colored area, that's the pituitary gland. If you read a previous post, you know I have a lesion on it which has caused havoc on my body.



Here's where I'm complaining - Can you believe something so little can cause so much trouble!!! I'm sick of it and I'm wondering if I could just make a small incision in my head and laser the lesion/growth off!! I've been taking Parlodel for four months now and I've had some side affects - not sleeping as much, a crazy appetite, I can't get full. I'm hungry all the time. If I don't eat, I get headaches and shakes - it's like I haven't eaten in a week which is why I've gained like 100 pounds in three months! Everything seems to be in overdrive....and I do mean EVERYTHING!! (My husband hasn't complained yet!!) haha!!! Too much info??

Anyway...I went to the doctor a couple weeks ago and he put me on another med to try to counter some of these side affects. I took them together last night and today I've been soooooo dizzy, major headache, throwing up, sweating like crazy - even though today is our first wonderfully cool day in a while, and I'm so stinkin' sleepy. I called my doctor and the pharmacist. I'm not supposed to take them together - in fact the pharmacist said, "Oh my gosh - you should NEVER do that," in this frantic tone. I'm supposed to take them at least four hours apart if not more.

So I'm just a little grumpy because I'm tired - I'm tired of dealing with it, I'm tired of taking one med to try and shrink the mass, bring prolactin levels down, and make certain organs/systems work appropriately. Then I take another pill to try to keep side affects from happening so extreme from the first pill.

I will probably be on Parlodel the rest of my life. The lesion/mass could eventually become dormant in my head, but that can take three to ten years. If that ever happens then I can go off the meds. But for now, it looks like I'm in for the long haul of med taking. YUCK!!!!! If I take the Parlodel too late at night and get up early, I'm dizzy and weird feeling all day. I hate this medication - it's running and ruining my life!! Yes, I'm a little dramatic right now - I know, but that's what I'm feeling now. Plus, it makes the blog entry much more interesting, don't you think?!

I know I shouldn't complain. There are people out there who suffer a lot more than I do from things much more serious and life threatening - I'm just having a pity party tonight and thought I'd invite you all in with me!!!

Thanks for coming!!

4 comments:

Carmela said...

I had no idea, Debbie. So sorry. I would be seriously bummed as well. I'm going to start praying for you.

One would never know it, though. You always have such a pleasant demeanor at church. By the way, I missed you tonight at the Missionettes Ice Cream Social :(

tjep said...

Oh Debbie...how frustrating! I'm sorry too. I can relate to the side effects somewhat... I'm taking medication (for hormonal balance) and one of the side effects is increased appetite & fatigue. I have to force myself to get going sometimes and I find myself yawning like crazy! I guess it would be too risky for surgery to remove this lesion? At least you know not to take the meds together. Eek! Prayers to you! Hang in there!

Sheri Leming said...

Hey Debbie,
I'm so sorry for all you're going through. My grandma used to say, "God will pull you through anything if you can stand the pullin'!"
Please know that we love you and you are in our hearts, our thoughts, and our prayers.

Love,
Gary & Sheri

Unknown said...

Really, how hard can it be to make a little cut, go in and remove that lesion? I'll be glad to do for you, if you'd like. I have a very old Cosmetology License so I am trained on using scissors and cutting hair. Hair, skin, lesions - what's the difference?

Seriously, my heart goes out to you - It seems to me you have had more than your share of physical conditions and medication side effects and it's time for a break! Praying for you.