Thursday, August 16, 2007

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE????

Yesterday I went to my local grocery store and I bought about $67 worth of groceries. After all my items have passed the scanner I hand the check out girl my $10 off a $30 purchase that I got in a mailer. Great. Then I hand her an $11 off coupon that I earned there...one of those that's attached to your receipt. She says very sternly, "You can't use two coupons like this." I showed her that neither one of them stated "cannot be combined..." She kept standing there arguing with me about it. Again, I take the coupons and show her there's nothing that says I can't. Then she hits the big button for my total. I then said, wait I have one more. It was a 5% off coupon. She literally threw her hands up, looked at the screen and said, "You saved over $26 with the club savings, had $21 in coupons and now this. You are going to get over $65 worth of groceries for about $20." I go, yeah, I love when that happens. I actually got $67 worth for a mere $18!! Very exciting. When her drawer opened she slammed it shut, ripped of the receipt in such a way that it was pretty obvious she was mad. I even looked at her and said - as they do at Seattle Grace - "SERIOUSLY?" You would have thought I was taking the money directly from her pocket. Maybe I am, I don't know - maybe the more coupons used the less employees make. I'll have to check with my friend Greg who is in the grocery business. This same lady does not like me anyway. I crossed the picket lines a few years back when the grocers were on strike and she called me names and even stood in front of my basket so I couldn't get to my car. Then when they went back to work she told people who were standing in her line about me - and how that long time customer (me) forced them to get back to work. I try to stay out of her line, but unfortunately that was the only one open at that hour.

Then today I'm going for another MRI scan. I have new insurance because of Darren's job change. I don't have my new card so I hand them a piece of paper with all the pertinent info that Darren got from HR. Again, the attitude. I explained the situation and when I handed her the paper she goes, "now I'll have to re-enter all your information." Then kept looking at me. I guess she was waiting for me to say, "Oh, sorry, nevermind, I'll just write you a check for $2000, I won't bother you with my insurance." Isn't that her job?? She collects the info and enters it? I mean "SERIOUSLY."

Maybe it's the new computer age we live in, we just don't have as much people contact as we used to and it's affecting how we are with human beings. I'm just asking for a little common courtesy!! Is that too much to ask for??

5 comments:

Carmela said...

Wow! I have heard so many bad customer stories lately. This is absolutely insane. Since when is it your fault that you're smart enough to use coupons? And what's it to her, anyway?! TOTAL WEIRDO.

I worked in customer service for six years, and all I heard was "customer service." Even when I worked at the Broadway and women would return dresses that had obviously been worn--we were forced to smile courteously and take them back. Even when I worked in fast food, and people would eat well over half the sandwich or whatever and complain about it--we had to smile and make them whatever they wanted. Obviously, I smiled through gritted teeth--but I smiled.

So sorry. Two fiascos in two days.

Will said...

Wow. Seriously. Thanks for the story. That was a good one.

Are you still winning books from inBubbleWrap? I heard they have excellent customer service! :)

Will (the Platt/Maritz connection)

Lori said...

That is the rudest checker ever. I wouldn't shop there anymore, and I would write a letter to the grocery store telling them why. Send a copy to corporate too. Whenever I complain to my dad about things like that, he responds with, "Write a letter." The few times that I have, I've been pleased with the results (money returned, gift certificates, free food, etc.) It can't hurt.

tjep said...

Gosh that's too bad that you have to deal with that! I just talked to Greg and if it doesn't say it on there then yes she should GLADLY accept it!!! He says too bad he doesn't work there anymore otherwise he'd put her in her place! You know what else? Not just at that store, but at others, there are employees still carrying grudges over that stupid strike! On customer relation, Greg says it's like pulling teeth sometimes, but employees seem to not want to put out the effort to smile and look you in the eyes much less say hi! I agree with the computer age having a lot to do with it.

Unknown said...

Debbie,

I don't know what is going on lately...too many unhappy people in their jobs.....

Do like my dad did, in McDonald's drive through when the check out girl practically threw his creamer for his coffee at him when he asked for it....(I know....what? he EXPECTED creamer with his coffee??? - what a trouble maker!)

He very sternly leaned out of the car window, into her face, and said, "Hey, this is your job, if you don't like it, then find a new one."

I don't think she ever threw his creamer at him again!

So pathetic.

I would find all the coupons I could, and purposely go into HER check out each time. I would taunt her, Debbie, which I know from personal experience that you are good at...but do it with a smile, be the most pleasant corrupt little thing that you can be!