Saturday, July 12, 2008

MY HANDY DANDY HUSBAND!!

I have the handiest husband on the planet. The guy can do anything...seriously. And if he can't do it, then he'll investigate, read, watch, trial and error until he does know how to do it. He has the patience of Job, which is good, yet at the same time can make some projects last ffffooooorrrrrrrreeeevvvvveeeeeeerrrr!! Case in point - "The Hackett House!" The 'flipper' - or as I call it, the "slow roll over!" Gosh, it's been like two years since we sold it and I'm still rubbing it in!! :o)

Anyway, back to my post - I'm VERY thankful he's so handy as he's saved us lots of money through the years when we didn't have to call a handyman. He actually enjoys this too. There are times he's been Bob the Builder and others where he's been Tim the Tool Man!! Thankfully more Bob than Tim!

Here's a couple of his projects - today he's installing a new attic fan. We don't have central air, so this really helps cool the house down. I was standing on the attic ladder and asked him to turn around and as he did he cut his finger..oops.




Here is Simon helping to cut the wood to secure the fan.



Here is something cool he did for me. I have these super duper Shure earphones I used for transcribing. Darren being Darren, he got me the kind that rockstars use to only hear what they need to. You never know when my boyfriend Jon Bon Jovi will be coming by to perform!! They are great because I hear everything the physicians and speakers are saying, but I can't hear a bloomin' thing outside of that. He has come home, talked to me from behind, dropped off his keys, etc. on the area in the office where we leave that kind of stuff, turned the TV on, etc., and I didn't know he was home. The UPS guy just knows now to bang hard on the door or come around to my office window! So, Darren installed a little camera in the front of the house and I pull up a screen that is of our front yard/porch. I can see what's going on at all times. It's great! Here is what it looks like on the computer screen.



Here's a close up of the D-Link window. I love it!



Again, we don't have central air and sometimes the office can get pretty warm by mid afternoon and that's when I start to pooter out. I'm usually up by 5:00 a.m. working, which is my preferred time, so by 1:00 p.m., my eyes start to get a little heavy and with the warm room, it's hard to stay focused. The Gisberts gave us a window unit a couple years ago, brand new, that we haven't used because it didn't fit any window, so Darren came up with a way to cool the room. He put it in the attic, venting to the outside vent, and then plugged it to where the cool air shoots down to the office.


Here is the little vent that is right above the desk. It works perfectly. In fact, if I shut the door within 30 minutes it's almost cold in here! Of course now that he's made the room more comfortable, he's probably going to expect me to produce more lines/more money!!



How do I turn the airconditioner on you ask?? No, I do not crawl up the ladder to the attic, don't be silly, remember who this blog is about - Darren - he hooked it up to a wireless control box that sits on the desk. I can turn it on and off from here.



Don't I just have the handiest of husbands!!

5 comments:

MLasch said...

Can I borrow him? I'm the handyman at our house, and I'm not that handy... He's great!

Debbie said...

Actually, yes you can borrow him. He left the attic ladder down and I came around the corner, hit my head HARD - I have a bruise and a big bump, as well as a headache. So yes, please...take him!! :o)

Rhonda said...

Way to go Darren!
I am totally impressed.
I LOVE the camera on the front porch. I want one of those.

Kim said...

Wow I am impressed. He needs his own show on DIY. I am not crazy about the camera out front though. How am I going to stalk you now without you knowing I am there???

DonnaG said...

I have to disagree with Kim. I love that you have a camera on your porch. I have lots of ideas of what I can do with it.

And, you have a very impressive husband. The wireless remote - totally Mr. Williams.

Your friends, the Gisbert's, they are cool too.